Organized in 1975, AAUW-NN initiates activities to advance equity and empower women and girls through these community outreach projects:
250 Northville and Novi Middle School girls attended “Career Path Day” since 2012
240 2nd and 3rd grade students and parents attended “Let’s Read Math” since 2013
$11,000 to area media centers since 2008 for materials honoring women in history through our “Remember the Ladies” donations
“Reading in Schools” for 11 area schools; 700-1000 students each year since 2011
$36,000 in scholarships to Northville and Novi High School girl graduates since 2008
$34,000 in endowments to Schoolcraft College students and 41 scholarships and Oakland Community College
Thank you notes from Recipients of our scholarships!
Career Path Day
- 8th grade girls from Novi and Northville Middle Schools spend the day in STEAM career exploration experiences.
- Schoolcraft, LTU, Genitti’s, women speakers, and local businesses partner to provide a broad view of opportunities and career ideas.
- Members help chaperone for part of the day or speak about their career during lunch.
- To be scheduled in March, 2019
- Novi MS, Hillside MS separately
- A three-week series of Saturday sessions for parents and 2nd and 3rd grade students each spring and fall.
- Based on math concept literature with math extension activities, such as money, measurement, polygons, etc.
- Members help facilitate the sessions:
- November 17 and 24; December 1, 2018
Northville District Library Noon – 3pm
“March Reading in Schools”
- Members volunteer to be scheduled and read in Northville and Novi Elementary School K-5 Classrooms during “March is Reading Month.”
- Members may choose the books to be read during a half hour session for one or several classrooms
**An AAUWNN member coordinator is needed for each school. Please contact Pat Noworyta to volunteer or to be a reader.
Branch members developed a research project that revealed the Northville and Novi school libraries were short on books about women. The “Remember the Ladies” theme was embraced.
There are now 3 ways to support this project.
- Make a monetary donation to support the purchase of books. Checks should be made payable to to either: Northville Public Schools or Novi Community Schools. On the memo line, you can indicate Remember The Ladies Book Project.
- Honor a special person by giving the gift of a book. We will insert a nameplate in the book and notify the person you have honored.
- Purchase a Remember The Ladies book click here:
Thank you notes from A Recipient of our DONATION for remember the ladies!
Through group and individual donations of $15 or more, books about women and women’s history have been donated to the school libraries following the recommendations of each school’s librarian. Over the last several years, additional branch monies have been given to both the Northville Library and the Novi Library to expand their collection of materials related to women.
Kids 4 Afghan Kids
Kids4AfghanKids is a non-profit organization in Michigan started by a group of middle school students in Northville with the goal of helping to improve the lives of children in Afghanistan.
Since the organization began in 1998, students along with guidance from their teachers and AAUWNN donations, have successfully raised funds that have supported the building of three schools, an orphanage, a medical clinic and a community well in the Wonkhai Valley, located three hours from Kabul.
Ask Nitya Chandran how to get involved!